The PrEP Clinic at Andromeda attended the 19th Annual United States Conference on AIDS, it was first time in the history of the conference that the District hosted USCA. It was appropriate that the nation's largest gathering on HIV was held in the city on the leading edge of the HIV epidemic.
The Andromeda PrEP Clinic was present with a booth at the "Community Connections Exhibitor Section" at the Convention Center with information available for the community about our PrEP program. By providing tote bags, pens, pins and safe sex kits with condoms and lubs the staff was able to engage individuals into a conversation about PrEP. The booth had PrEP booklets in English and Spanish for heterosexual women, men, MSM and transgender. The Andromeda PrEP Clinic had the support of our MA students that volunteered to be at the Community Connection booth to assist with the logistics.
The following sessions for focused on PrEP:
- "Accelerating the uptake of daily Oral PrEP with Truvada while integrating treatment and preparing for additional PrEP Strategies"
- "PrEParing Medical Providers to End the HIV Epidemic in the New York State: Tools, Training and Tips"
- "Plenary Session"where we had the pleasure to learn from Dr. Anthony Fauci of the updates of the HIV epidemic as well as listening to various inspiring presentations.
- "Condoms, PrEP and STDs"
- "PrEP-py DEBI"
- "PrEPARE for life: perspectives on PrEP (NMAC)"
- "PrEP and nPEP: Development of a statewide strategic plan to guide implementation"
Our participation at the conference was a great success ! The Andromeda PrEP Clinic staff reached out to hundreds of attendants where we distributed hundreds of booklets, hundreds of safe sex kits with condoms and lubs, and hundreds of PrEP promotional material such as pins, pens and tote bags. Participants were informed about our services and we created new collaborations with other community-based organizations, pharmaceutical companies and HIV advocates.